Saturday, October 19, 2013

Friday, October 18, 2013 (plus pictures!!!)

Hey Family!

    Wow I don't even know where to start because so much has happened in just a week. I got your package yesterday! I was so excited to get it, thank you so much it made me smile.  I have also received all your letters. Thanks so much I love mail! Life at the MTC has been great but a little crazy. I'm going all the time and trying to study and learn as much as I possibly can while I'm here so that when I go out to the field I can be the best missionary I can and know a little bit of what I'm doing. I never realized how hard it would be to actually teach the gospel to someone who has no idea. It has definitely been a challenge, I definitely understand all the doctrine myself but putting it in a form that they understand is a challenge. But we practice roll playing all the time here so I finally feel more confident and ready to teach. Sister Prete and I have had 2 investigators that we have been working with while we've been here. One of them is Mariana Martinez (she is really our teacher Sister Poulsen acting as an investigator) but she is so good and she is definitely challenging us. I have definitely learned to rely on the spirit and teach through the spirit. I have also learned it is so important to learn more about the spiritual needs of the individual before you can begin teaching an investigator. That way we can teach to their needs and "teach people, not lessons." We also had another investigator that we had never met. They have volunteers come in and act as investigators. This girl's name is Sarah and honestly she wasn't very good at acting. She was probably the easiest person to teach, we committed her to baptism the 2nd lesson but she would have said yes the first visit as well but we got scared to ask. haha its a little nerve racking. I'm loving my teacher and I have learned so much more in one week then I ever thought possible. I feel like I have been here so much longer just because I feel like I have learned and changed so much in one week plus a few days. I'm so close to my district and my companion as well so I feel like I have known them for so much longer. 
    
Australia!
    I got a new travel itinerary yesterday and instead of leaving on Sunday we now are all leaving on Monday. My flight leaves at 6:10 p.m. so I will be calling you sometime during the day. We are leaving here at 12:30 so I'm sure I will be waiting in the airport forever so I will call for sure. I'm loving my calling as a STL although it can be a little stressful at times. We have had some interesting problems that have arouse with the sisters that Sister Prete and I have had to handle. But it has been good and our Branch President is awesome and so helpful in assisting us with the issues. I have had to call the Branch President several times already. But I love the sisters they are all amazing! I feel like I have a greater love for them in this calling as I have been striving to really get to know them and attend to their needs. Just so you know I probably didn't make it clear in my last email but as a Sister Training Leader it is like a Zone Leader for the sisters. We got a new district that came in on wednesday and Sister Prete and I along with the zone leaders had to prepare a little orientation to tell the new missionaries some of the rules and what to expect here at the MTC. Sister Prete and I were so excited to meet them we could barely handle ourselves all day. We just wanted to see them and get to know them. Those sisters are all so amazing and we have a lot of fun with the new sisters. I almost feel like I'm there mom or something because they always come up with questions and need help with different things, but I'm glad they know they can come to me when they need something. I have definitely had some stressful days but I get through them quickly and get back to work. I'm learning so much about relying on the Lord in guiding me in the work.

  Oh mom for devotional Tuesday night we had a great opportunity of hearing from Elder Oaks! It was so amazing! They never tell you who is coming, you just go in and then see who walks in and it was a wonderful feeling when he walked through the door. He shared with us a great message on what sets us apart from other churches. Mom tell him he did a great job and I loved his talk!

I'm learning so much and I'm loving every minute! I can't wait to leave on Monday and finally be able to get to Australia! I love you all and thanks so much for all your letters. Enjoy your week and I'm not sure when I will be writing to you next but I will definitely let you know as soon as I get there. I love being a missionary! Love ya!

Love,

Sister Heidi Sorensen

P.S. I will be sending you some pictures I just have to figure out how to send it on these computers. They aren't working very well.


My companion, Sister Prete
Roommates! Sister Prete (companion), Sister Faber, and Sister Brewer
My district and Branch President, President Born
Sister Ellis is going to Thailand!
 (Former roommate Brooke Ellis's sister from BYU-Idaho)
These were the STL's before we became them.  Sister Perkes, Hurst, and Blatter.
They are now in the Florida, Tallahassee Mission


MORE......







1 comment: